I'm passionate about developing the user experience, connecting people, great food, and disc golf - not necessarily in that order. Transplanted to Northern Virginia after 25 years in Northern California, I'm a second generation Silicon Valley geek and veteran web professional who has been building human-computer interfaces since 1994.
The PDGA is the governing body of the sport of disc golf and is a membership organization dedicated to the promotion and sustainable growth of the sport.
Working on making the great sport of disc golf better through technology for players, tournament directors and fans everywhere.
Mountain View, CA
LinkedIn is an online network of
over 8 10 25 50 75 more than 90 close to 200 million over a quarter billion experienced professionals in over 200 countries and territories around the globe.
Principal Web Developer
Spearheaded the development of the core user experience. Identified and implemented new patterns in social design. Evangelized best practices and created front-end coding guidelines while helping to grow one of the best web development teams anywhere by 15x in 5 years.
San Jose, CA
PayPal is a global leader in online payment solutions with
86.6 96.2 million active account holders worldwide. Available in 56 countries and regions around the world, buyers and sellers on eBay, online retailers, online businesses, as well as traditional offline businesses are transacting with PayPal.
Staff Web Developer
Joined PayPal to evangelize, teach, and implement W3C Web standards in an effort to seperate the front-end architecture tier into distinct structural, presentational, and behavioral layers.
- Lead effort to refactor legacy client-side code using W3C Web standards compliant HTML and advanced CSS to speed up content delivery, enhance accessibility and optimize for search engines.
- Built scalable Web standards based front-end architecture to support 40+ developers.
- Co-authored tiered browser support policy.
- Responsible for the creation of functional prototypes, design templates, stylesheets and client-side coding conventions.
- Through classroom instruction, workshops and one-on-one mentoring, taught proper document structure, layout, and presentation techniques using semantic mark-up and CSS.
McAfee's web properties consist of thousands of pages of content localized for 16 geographic locations and counting. Overall, these web sites receive millions of unique visitors every day and are highly distributed over hundreds of servers both domestically and worldwide.
Senior Web User Interface Architect
Converted to full-time employee after being brought on for a one month contract in June 2003 and making an immediate contribution to the Web Services group in areas of usability, accessibility and presentation layer coding optimization. Leading the way towards uniform and company-wide adoption of coding conventions based on W3C Web standards.
- Responsible for creation of all functional prototypes, design templates, style-sheets and coding conventions for ongoing complete redesign and re-branding effort.
- Full rewrite of legacy client-side code using W3C Web standards compliant XHTML and advanced CSS to speed up content delivery leading to a decrease in bandwidth usage of up 70% and cross-browser/cross-platform functionality previously unattainable.
- Through an individually tailored mentoring program, effectively changing the way both developers and designers think about document structure, information architecture and coding optimization using well structured semantic mark-up.
- Web user interface team lead for affiliate website projects with Fortune 500 partners such as Microsoft, Dell, Sony, etc.
- Lead and collaborate with geographically dispersed virtual teams through email, telephone, and instant messaging.
- Serve on cross-functional teams, and liaise with Engineering, QA, Localization, IT, Marketing and Sales.
- Analyze usability study results, recommend and implement changes to site flow and design based on information gathered.
- Evaluate new technologies and make recommendations for Content Management System implementation initiative.
San Diego & San Mateo, CA
A software company that develops a suite of digital workflow, CRM, and e-commerce applications used in the Graphic Arts and Printing industries. Printable acquired the intellectual property of Collabria in 2001.
Senior User Interface Designer/Lead Web Developer
Hired as employee number one to play a key role in the development of Collabria's award-winning flagship suite of e-commerce procurement, supply chain, and productivity applications. Given increased challenges and responsibilities after Printable acquired Collabria's intellectual property; led integration of complex product suites.
- Led conceptualization, design, and development efforts for an award-winning line of Web-based solutions built using ASP, JSP, and XSLT.
- Served as sole user interface designer with primary responsibility for all Internet sites and Web-based enterprise applications. Created original proof-of-concept prototypes, design templates, and style-sheets; developed directory structure and file naming schemes.
- Reviewed and modified code to eliminate design inconsistencies introduced during development cycles and to ensure cross-browser and cross-platform functionality.
- Led and collaborated with geographically dispersed virtual teams through email, telephone, and instant messaging. Worked onsite at San Mateo and San Diego offices as well as remotely.
- Served on cross-functional teams, and liaised with Engineering, Operations, Marketing, and Sales. Helped foster a strong team atmosphere in a high-pressure merger environment.
- Implemented and monitored alpha and beta testing programs (usability, unit, integration, stress, etc) among internal users.
- Mentored and trained Web developers on user interface design; trained Printable's Engineers on Collabria technology, and trained internal and external user groups.
- Managed software development for Professional Services engagements. Interfaced with customers, analyzed existing production environments, and created custom online solutions. Gathered requirements and contributed to the development of specifications.
- Saved significant marketing dollars by using experience in video and audio production to produce online demos that would otherwise have been outsourced. Converted analog video to streaming video and performed voiceovers.
San Jose, CA
Designed, developed, and maintained dynamic web sites and intranets for small businesses, major corporations, and start-up ventures.
- Sun Microsystems, 1995: Converted thousands of pages of product data-sheets and white papers from FrameMaker to HTML. Designed, tested, and implemented innovative software that automatically converted FrameMaker tables to HTML tables.
- Communication Intelligence Corporation, 1996: Developed the first external web site for CIC using an organized layout, logical directory structures and intuitive naming conventions. Trained in-house Webmaster to maintain and extend the website using custom templates.
- Aspect Development, 1996: Provided early user interface design and database programming for an online product catalog developed exclusively for Siemens Corporation.
- Corporate Store, 1997: Designed user interface for online print procurement and order processing system.